Edythe was born with syndactyly. The four fingers of her right hand were webbed or fused. As we considered, prepared for, and recovered from surgery to release her fingers, it would have been so nice to hear about other parents' experiences, but we couldn't find many. Hopefully this will help someone out there who is wondering what to expect if they choose surgery!

Wednesday, February 11, 2015

A Week After the Cast Comes Off

     Though there were a few days this last week that were scary for me, it's been exciting to see the progress as Edythe's hand has healed. the scary part was about the 3rd day when her fingers got quite red and swollen. It was evening, or I would have called the doctor. Whenever there's any sign of a problem, my imagination always goes wild, so I worry more than necessary. But I didn't know what to do to take care of the infection. I'd read that hydrogen peroxide was bad for newly forming skin. I put some colloidal silver on it thinking that would be more gentle. I had been covering her hand in manuka honey each night, then putting a sock on her hand to. I worried that maybe I shouldn't have done that. But after being reassured by my hubby that she would be fine I went to bed. In the morning her fingers looked a little better and they continued to improve all day. Whew!
     On about the 7th or 8th day her last stitch dissolved so her hand looked so much better when those scabby stitches disappeared. Through the week she continued using her new fingers more and more. Now she uses it just like her other hand, and her index finger, which has always been pulled in, can now straighten and point ( I love how toddlers point!).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have an experience with syndactyly to share?