Edythe was born with syndactyly. The four fingers of her right hand were webbed or fused. As we considered, prepared for, and recovered from surgery to release her fingers, it would have been so nice to hear about other parents' experiences, but we couldn't find many. Hopefully this will help someone out there who is wondering what to expect if they choose surgery!

Wednesday, July 8, 2015

After the Cast is Off


Her cast is off! Now she can forget her temporary fascination with toilets! 

Things went so much smoother than the first time she has her cast removed. For one thing, we remembered to soak it, so it was easier. And this time Edythe fussed a little but not much. When the cast was off she stared at her hand for a few moments. Then she picked up her other hand and looked at it. Then back to her right, then her left. What was she thinking? How I wanted to get inside her sweet head. Then she put her right up to me to show me. I told her it was beautiful and kissed it. She smiled and hopped off my lap to play with the toys. Amazing!

My husband and I both thought her fingers looked better this time. The Dr said she used a different type of suture, hoping it would help reduce the scabs and scarring. Although Dr Wang told us we should wash her hand, massage it, and let her use it lots, I doubt she wanted for Edy to bite off all the dead skin and loose scabs, but that's what she did all day! Yuck!


This time, instead of feeling worse on the third day she's just her happy, busy self and though her fingers are red, they're not very swollen. Misshapen, yes, but that will change with time.
I am just so thrilled that she has these five beautiful fingers now!

I haven't seen her bend her middle finger yet. Hopefully with time that will happen too. And though she had web creep between her 4th and 5th fingers, the Dr said that may take care if itself. I hope we are done with surgeries!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have an experience with syndactyly to share?